Failure Mode & Effects Analysis (FMEA) is a tool for quickly and systematically assessing risk and developing prioritized actions to mitigate or eliminate risk, applicable to:
- New business concepts
- Product design and product evaluation, for manufacturing and service operations
- Process design and process operations, for manufacturing and service operations
Finding and fixing problems often follows a 1:10:100 Rule. If finding and eliminating a problem at the design or concept stage takes level of effort 1, then fixing a product or process after it exists is a level of effort 10, and fixing a product or outcome after it has been delivered to the customer is a level 100. Effectively applying Failure Mode & Effects Analysis early in any project will eliminated wasted effort and costs over the whole life cycle of the activity.
FMEA Training and Implementation Guide course
The FMEA Training and Implementation guide is an online course that individual employees and teams can use to:
- Learn the principles and practices of FMEA
- Understand how to apply those principles in Concept, Design or Process situations
- Quickly achieve results that reduce risk and improve business performance
In less than a day using this systematic approach, we resolved our largest warranty issue – I wish we had done it this way sooner!
President, Automotive Parts Supplier
The course covers:
- Introduction and rationale for using FMEA
- Process FMEA (in many areas of a business)
- Design FMEA (for product design and process design – including at the concept stage)
- Worked examples (including visual process layouts, FMEA analysis and commentary), that cover manufacturing processes, service processes, product design, process design, and design at the concept stage.
- A test with certificate, with course name, participant name and date
- Templates for Process FMEA and Concept / Design FMEA
- Documents that support failure and controls identification
Purchasing licenses provides access to the course for 6 months.