Failure Mode & Effects Analysis (FMEA)
Failure Mode & Effects Analysis (FMEA) is a tool for systematically assessing risk and identifying and prioritizing actions to reduce or eliminate risk.
FMEA can be applied to assess multiple situation types, including but not limited to:
- New business concepts
- Product design and product evaluation, for manufacturing and service operations
- Process design and process operations, for manufacturing and service operations
Finding and fixing problems often follows a 1:10:100 Rule. If finding and eliminating a problem at the design or concept stage takes level of effort 1, then fixing a product or process after it exists is a level of effort 10, and fixing a product or outcome after it has been delivered to the customer is a level 100.
Effectively applying Failure Mode & Effects Analysis will quickly identify risks and actions to take to eliminate or minimize risks. Applied as early as practical, use of FMEA will lower the life-cycle level of effort and cost of products and services.
In less than a day using this systematic approach, we resolved a long-standing warranty issue – I wish we had done it this way sooner!
President, Automotive Parts Supplier
FMEA Training and Implementation Guide course
The FMEA Training and Implementation Guide is an on-line course that individual employees or teams can use to:
- Learn the principles and practices of FMEA
- Understand how to apply those principles in Design or Process situations
- Quickly achieve results that reduce risk and improve business performance
The course covers:
- Introduction and rationale for using FMEA
- Process FMEA (in many areas of a business)
- Design FMEA (for product design and process design – including at the concept stage)
- Worked examples (including visual process layouts, FMEA analysis and commentary), that cover manufacturing processes, service processes, product design, process design, and design at the concept stage.
- A participation-based workbook printable from the course
- A test with certificate, with participant name and date.
- Templates for Process FMEA and Design FMEA
- Documents that support failure and controls identification
Full e-commerce capability coming soon. Let us know in the form below if you would like to be notified when the course is available.
4aBetterBusiness also offers a blended training format which combines team use of the on-line course with facilitated application to specific company situation(s), with facilitation delivered either on-site or on-line. The blended training format accelerates application and results for the company and provides further reinforcement of the learning experience for increased retention and ongoing application to company business. To speak about blended training for your company, complete the form below to contact 4aBetterBusiness, or contact us at (847) 606-2605 or email@example.com.